Character Creation Walkthrough EmptyFri Jan 05, 2018 12:23 pm by God

» National Issues & Events
Character Creation Walkthrough EmptyThu Dec 28, 2017 9:40 am by God

Norwich Gazette
October 1904.

Sunrise: 7:20 AM
Sunset: 6:00 PM
Temperature: 65F

Bright and warm, with a refreshing breeze; clouding over later. Small chance of light showers in the evening.

Character Creation Walkthrough

Go down

Character Creation Walkthrough Empty Character Creation Walkthrough

Post by God Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:32 pm

So, you've looked around, read the blurb and like what you see - this is the method I will be using for turning your desire to play into reality...

1/ Make sure you have read General Rules, Taste and Decency Rules, Running Format and all in the Welcome sub-forum. I have tried to make the site as self-explanatory as possible. You will also require as minimum a copy of a core Vampire the Masquerade book; either 3rd ['Revised'] or 4th ['20th'] would be ideal - but I am happy for you to be using another edition of it if that's all you've got.

2/ Join EAbN. Don't worry too much about your username right now; this can be changed later. You will need to wait for me to activate your account; this is due to experiences of spambots.

3/ Log in and send me [God] a Personal Message ['PM'] titled 'New Player' if I've missed you and haven't sent you an PM yet. If you're the one messaging me, pre-empt my first question and tell me how familiar with Vampire the Masquerade and/or World of Darkness and/or play-by-post ['PbP'] games. I promise you - this is not an interview, but if I understand what 'previous' you have, I know where to start. I'm happy to have a VtM virgin.

4/ Pitch me vague character concepts. I urge you not to simply pitch me ones you think I'll accept, but to be honest and say the ones you'd like to play. In a chronicle like this, I can't simply accept any concept automatically; please do not take this personally. It may be that the concept is far too close to a current PC or NPC, I can't see how such a character would be within the current IC location and/or time, or perhaps I can't see what I would do with such a character. In these cases, I will attempt to accommodate.

5/ When we hit a concept which we both agree with, it is time for your character sheet. We use This Sheet at EAbN, and the steps for sheet-making is Here.

I'll give you at this point your 'Creation Roll'; what the character's Generation is and how much more XP you've got to play with. This may seem unfair, but this randomiser both dents the 'incumbency bias' [longer-played characters are by default 'stronger' than new ones] and stops the frequent 'dash to max out Generation'.

You will receive queries and suggestions regarding the proposed sheet; this isn't any slight on your part, nor is it me attempting to 'change the character'. The vast majority of the time it's to strengthen a 'skill set' you've defined at #4 as core to the concept, or to make the character 'viable' [Example: being able to actually hunt].

6/ Once the character sheet has been agreed, decide on the final name for your character. For the purpose of making life easier for all, I ask that it is not too similar to either current PC's or NPC's.

7/ A picture of your character is required for the account avatar. I'll say this; don't make it larger than 200 x 200 pixels and no moving .gifs. Sometimes, finding the 'right' picture can be hard; in this case I'd recommend you find one 'which would sort of do' as a temporary one.

8/ Time for the character's backstory. Look, I am not asking for a light novel. Nor am I going to use it as a source of pointy things to poke you with. Said story does not have to be particularly exciting or unique. You know what obituaries are like in a newspaper, right? - that is what I am asking for. Light on the actual details, but giving a feel of the character. It can be done in around 100 - 200 words, depending on how old your character is.

This is more important that you'd think - if anything else, allows me to see how you visualise your character.

Two things I'll stress about Backstories; One, the characters will not be from within the fief of Norwich - though they may know characters from it. Two; you do not need to come up with the reason(s) of them going to Norwich - I will do that [though if you have ideas on this, I would really like to hear them!]

9/ At this point, your character will go active. Due to the running format, chances are the other active characters are halfway through a story. So, it is either you wait for a break before starting play or to start playing a solo prologue immediately. I favour the latter.

10/ As you play through your prologue, this also gives you time to fill in the blanks in your in your Sparks of Unlife. Yes, some things need defining. Where does those Resources 2 come from? What is your Ghoul's skills? Why do they have Status with the clan and sect? - that kind of thing.

I'll provide a handy list of 'things to do' when you hit this stage.

11/ Then, the finishing touches. Personality post, your signature etc. I aim for all characters to be fully completed by the time they enter group play.

While this order does not have to be followed exactly, I do advise it - experience tells me that a different order runs the risk of having to re-do parts again due to changes in concept etc.

If you have any problems, questions, whatever during creation, please ask me. That's what ST's are there for!
God
God
Admin

https://eabn.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down